This science experiment can demonstrate to children that it’s God’s power that makes things grow. We can grow if we give him the space to work within us. As 1 Corinthians 3:7 states, “…neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.”
• Measuring cup
• Baking soda
• Plastic bottle
1. Pour 3/4 cup of vinegar into the plastic bottle.
2. Use the funnel to pour 2 tablespoons of baking soda into the balloon.
3. Stretch the top of the balloon around the top of the bottle, being careful not to spill the baking soda into the bottle.
4. Ask one of the children to lift the balloon so the baking soda drops into the bottle.
5. Watch the balloon expand!
When the baking soda and vinegar mix, they create a chemical reaction that releases air, causing the balloon to expand.
When we look at the food on our plates, it’s easy to take for granted the power of God that created the food. Sometimes it’s hard to even think beyond simply buying it from the grocery store. The truth is that God makes things grow from seeds and foundations into nutritious food to be put on our tables.
And God can also “grow” us! If we pray and invite him into our lives, we become a little like the balloon. The Holy Spirit is the power within us that expands our spirits! 1 Corinthians 3:7 says, “So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.”
You might also be interested in these other science experiment ideas!