Our lives may appear to be busy but without God’s direction our lives are all but meaningless. Once we give our lives to God, it’s as if He harnesses a great spiritual energy source to us. This Bible Science experiment with balloons helps explain this.
Philippians 4:13: “I can do all things in him who strengthens me.”
Balloon Bible Science Experiment
– Two chairs
– Piece of twine, 5 feet long
– Drinking straw
– Scotch Tape
– Large Balloon (as opposed to a water balloon)
1. Cut a 5-inch piece of straw, cutting off the accordion part that allows it to bend. The 5-inch piece should be completely straight
2. Loop it through the string
3. Tie the ends of the string around the two chairs
4. Pull them apart so the string is tight and the straw is straight.
5. Blow up the balloon and keep the end pinched
6. Have another person lay two or three pieces of tape across the straw and bring the balloon underneath of it, so that the balloon is now taped to the straw. The pinched end of the balloon should be facing one of the chairs.
7. Let the balloon go
What happens to the straw when you let go of the balloon?
It should move along the string closer to the chair facing away from the balloon opening.
This is an interesting way of seeing forward motion that doesn’t involve wheels. Most things that we set in motion in our culture, such as cars, motorcycles, and
even trains, use wheels to perpetuate momentum. However, some things need only air.
When you blew into the balloon, you created pressure, or you “harnessed” the air for a useful purpose. When you let go of the balloon, it emptied itself to relieve
the pressure, and your straw moved along the string. Straws are very light. A heavier object requires more air pressure.
One complicated use of air pressure involves rocket launches to start space travel. Enough air pressure can lift a very heavy rocket off the ground and help set it into
Without the Holy Spirit in our lives, we are very much like that straw. We may look busy, but without God’s direction, our lives are all but meaningless. Once we
give our lives to God, it’s as if He harnesses a great spiritual energy source to us. The balloon is like the Holy Spirit. Without all that power, we would never be able
to get where we’re going! Just like a plain ole straw can move with the help of harnessed air, we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us! (Philippians