Here’s a craft AND a healthy Thanksgiving craft and snack that will make kid’s eyes pop. It looks like a turkey, and it’s all healthy and edible. And…many of the ingredients in this melon turkey can have a spiritual meaning as well!
Thanksgiving Craft & Snack: Fruit Gobbler
– Bosc pear (head)
– Melon (body)
– Cheese (beak and tail feathers)
– Red pepper (snood, feet and side feathers)
– Raisins (eyes)
– Grapes (tail feathers)
– Bamboo skewers
– Paper plates
– Plastic spoons
- Stabilize the melon body by cutting a shallow slice off the rind to form a flat base.
- Using a section of bamboo skewer, attach a Bosc pear head to the melon, as shown.
- Cut a cheese triangle beak and red pepper snood. Attach both, along with raisin eyes, to the head with sections of toothpick.
- Cut red pepper feet and set them in place. For tail feathers, skewer cheese cubes and red grapes, then insert the skewers as shown. Pin pepper side feathers in place with toothpicks.
All the food in this snack is good for us! So is giving thanks good for us. Did you know that when people stop complaining and think of ten things to be thankful for, their mood changes from sad to happy?
The peppers, cheese and grapes are a little like our blessings. They all come from God. The melon is like God. It’s strong and good. And God “shoots out” blessings to us in abundance because he loves us.
All we have to do is take them and be thankful.
Let’s eat this healthy snack and remember how much God loves us and how many blessings he shoots down to us every day.
Cut and serve on paper plates.