Following the object lesson, “Committing Ourselves to God’s Hands this Year,” help children maintain their quiet and peacefulness with this wonderful New Years craft. They’ll become rejuvenated by working with their hands to create a likeness of the urns you see in that object lesson. Granted, their handiwork won’t be quite as ornate, but children will sense God’s position in molding their lives and, with a prayer, carry that faith into the New Year!
New Years Craft: Potters Clay Vases and Urns
– White Play-Doh (or clay)
– Plastic forks, knives, and spoons to help with shaping and design features
– Paper plates
– Several printouts of the vases shown below
Images 1-2 from An Educated Palate: “The Simple Beauty of Native American Pottery”
Images 3-6 from “A Visual Glossary of Greek Pottery“
Yet you, LORD, are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand. ““Isaiah 64:8
“¦he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. ““Philippians 1:6
1. Show children the images of the different vases in the photo above.
2. Give them a lump of Play-Doh (or clay) the size of a baseball.
3. Let them decide which urns or vases they want to try to construct. They can do one big one or several little ones.
4. Let them use the knives, forks, and spoons to help with molding a few shapes in the clay or adding them for decoration.
5. When they are completed, have each child write down one or both of the Scriptures from the reading (above) by going around the rim of the paper plate, printing carefully.
6. They should leave room for the clay pieces they made. Use the glue to fix the clay pieces to the plate.
Since New Year’s is such an important time and such an important concept for us to understand, let’s end our craft with a prayer:
Father, we know how important it is to strive to be good. We also know that we will make mistakes. Help us to not get frustrated. Help us to know that you are with us every minute, every day, through your Holy Spirit, and you are helping us grow into the people you will want us to be at the end of our lives here on earth. Our faith in you is even more important than our efforts. Amen”¦
You might also be interested in these other wonderful lessons & activity ideas!