Most kids love candied apples. This lesson and fall Bible snack will teach how a candied apple is a lot like God’s Word – the Word may sound bitter to those who don’t believe in Jesus, but the Holy Spirit sure makes it sweet to us!
Fall Bible Snack: Candied Apples to Show the Trinity
Note: Requires a stove or a hot plate. If you demonstrate in front of the class, take care that children don’t get too close to the heated candy.
– 1 2/3 cups cinnamon red hot candies
– 2 tablespoons water
– Apples, one for each child (this recipe makes 12)
– Popsicle sticks, one for each apple
– Hot plate or burner, which you can use in your class, or use the stove in the church kitchen
– Small pan
– Baking sheet
– Spatula or wooden spoon for stirring
– Wax paper
1. Insert craft sticks into apples.
2. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
3. One the stove, heat a saucepan to medium high. Pour in the cinnamon candies and water. Use a wooden spoon or a spatula to keep rubbing the sticky candy off the sides of the pot.
4. Heat candy to until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms hard, brittle threads. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
5. Dip apples in hot liquid and place on waxed paper to harden.
Conclusion (with teacher’s words):
Apples at harvest time give us a great chance to see how God leaves hints about His nature and character in his creation.
(Hold up a candied apple.) The word of God is like this yummy piece of fruit. It will make us strong if we “devour” it.
The stick is like God himself who gave us his word and “upholds His truths.” The truth of the Gospel “stands on” the promise of salvation for all who believe in God and Jesus.
Some people don’t believe in God and Jesus. To them, the truth would taste sour, like an apple that wasn’t ripe and didn’t have candy coating. The candy coating is like the Holy Spirit, who surrounds the truth and makes it taste good to those of us who believe.
Let’s enjoy our apples together and remember to enjoy God’s word when we study it!
Do you think your students will enjoy this fall Bible snack? So you have other fall Bible snack ideas to share? Comment below! Or you can head over to our Facebook page, where we are sharing other fun fall Bible snack ideas and suggestions!