This Christmas game will help students remember the real reason behind Christmas and how it’s much more important to decorate ourselves with love and giving than to decorate a real tree.
“People Trees” Christmas Game
– Variety of Colored Paper
– Green Crepe Paper
– Scotch Tape
– Thick Black Markers
Students will compete in teams to see who will be the first to decorate their tree.
Around this time of year, people are buzzing, shops are filled, and money is being spent. There are lights on and decorations being hung and presents being wrapped. But, are these the fundamental reasons for celebrating Christmas? Today, we’re going to play a game to help remind us what those reasons are!
Cut out “ornaments” from the colored paper. You should cut enough ornaments so that each group of four students have at least ten ornaments.
1. If possible, split the class into groups of four.
2. Have teams sit in their groups, but separated from the rest of their classmates.
3. Give them each their set of ornaments, a marker, crepe paper, and scotch tape.
4. Pick one student from each team to be the tree.
5. That student will stand in the center of their group.
6. When you say “Go!” the “tree’s” teammates will decorate him/her.
7. They will start by wrapping the green crepe paper around their “tree”, covering them from top to bottom.
8. Next, they will write key Christmas words on their ornaments. EXAMPLES: Manger, Frankincense, Mary, Jesus, Star, etc.
9. Once they have an ornament “decorated” they will tape it to the “tree”.
10. The first team to have their tree decorated wins.
Luke 2:16-18 says, “So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them.” This is the real reason we celebrate Christmas. Yes, the lights and the gifts and the songs make it fun, but we wouldn’t have any of it without the birth of Jesus. Although we can get lost in all the goings on of the Christmas season, we must always remember the true reason behind celebrating.
The best thing we can do at Christmas is decorate ourselves – our hearts, souls and spirits – with the love of God and spread good tidings of great joy to the people we meet each day.
Do you have a Christmas game you would like to share? Feel free to comment below! And don’t forget to Become a Fan on Facebook, and Follow Us on Twitter, where we will continue to share great Christmas game ideas, and other activities throughout the holiday season!