“For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.” ~ Galatians 5:1
Here’s a fun 4th of July snack that is all about patriotism and our flag, and the freedoms both represent. These healthy and yummy fruit kabobs will give kids an opportunity pause to reflect on how fortunate we are for the freedom to worship as we please in America.
– Strawberries, blueberries, bananas
– Kabob sticks
– Square or rectangular serving tray or aluminum dish
1. Cut the fruit to similar sizes – the bananas about an inch thick, and the strawberries into quarters.
2. Put all fruit on the kabob sticks. Line them up on the sticks evenly so that the strawberries will form a row, followed by the bananas, and finally, the blueberries.
3. Place all the kabobs on a serving tray and refrigerate.
A flag is a symbol. It is very much like our Christian cross. It stands to remind people that something or someone is of great importance. Our Cross reminds us of the death and resurrection of Jesus. Our flag reminds us, as Christians, that we have many freedoms in this country, including the freedom to worship as we choose.
Our flag has three colors. Hold up one of the kabobs with all three colors on it and point to each color. The white stands for purity; the red for strength, and blue stands for justice.
Let’s eat our healthy snack and be grateful for our purity, strength and our ability to obtain justice, which are blessings from God which America makes easy to obtain.
Additional Discussion Points
The American flag is important to Christians and many other Americans as well. America is still the greatest nation in the world. You may hear some things in school or in your neighborhood that aren’t very good about America. You may hear that it is not a Christian nation anymore and that nobody really cares about Christianity much. This is not true.
Here are the facts:
– According to a recent ABC News survey, 83 percent of Americans say they are Christian.
– More than 40 percent of Americans believe the Creation story and that the earth is very young, according to an annual Gallup poll.
– 56 percent of Americans believe that Adam and Eve were real people.
– According to CNN, Christianity is the biggest religion on planet earth. There
are 2.2 billion Christians worldwide and 1.8 Muslims, meaning that Christianity has nearly 30 percent more followers than the next largest religion.
– Most of the Christians around the world live in the US.
You might also be interested in these other 4th of July snack and activity ideas!
Linking up at: A Mama’s Story, What Joy Is Mine, Nourishing Joy, savvysouthernstyle.net, wholeheartedhome.com, flusterbuster.com, thelifeofjenniferdawn.com, thenewlywedpilgrimage.com, w2wministries.org, theturquoisehome.com, jannolson.blogspot.com, serenitynowblog.com, shabbynest.blogspot.com, simplelifemom.com, chiconashoestringdecorating.blogspot.com, Simple Saturdays Blog Hop, madefrompinterest.net, flamingotoes.com, The Sunday Showcase, lifeonlakeshoredrive.com, Create With Joy, A Blossoming Life, A Pinch of Joy, Uncommon Designs, homestoriesatoz.com, Coastal Charm, The Scoop, A Stroll Through Life, Between Naps on the Porch, Fine Craft Guild, The Twinkle Diaries